Early Morning Cooking Fire Displaces Family

By May 20, 2015Fire Safety, NFPA


I am in the middle of remodeling my kitchen and have been enjoying eating out for a few days.  But I do miss using my stovetop and oven since they’ve been missing in action.  An early morning fire yesterday in Memphis, Tenn. that I read about  in localmemphis.com is a great reminder to me about taking safety precautions in the kitchen when my remodeling is done.  Thanks to a working smoke alarm, the family was able to get out of their home and call the fire department. Firefighters near Memphis reminded citizens to never leave food unattended while cooking and to always have working smoke alarms.  In addition, residents can call the Memphis Fire Department to have their smoke alarms checked or replaced.  The Memphis house fire reminds us that unattended cooking fires can happen any time of year and time of day.  As the Memorial Day holiday approaches, let’s take a look at NFPA’s many safety tips designed to keep your family safe. Visit Cooking Fire Safety Central to get a refresher on all types of cooking precautions.  The cooking infographic is a great addition for social media and the short informational videos can be used all year.  Bon appétit! Here’s  to a safe start to summer.