After firefighters in a Massachusetts town responded to a fire last week blamed on an overloaded and improper extension cord, the chief is urging the community to celebrate safely by using precautions when decorating their homes.
“The holidays are a festive and wonderful time of year where we come together to celebrate,” Groveland Fire Chief Robert Lay is quoted as saying in the Georgetown Record. “This means using properly rated electrical wires and outlets and using best safety practices when putting together annual big holiday meals.”
Firefighters responded after a passing motorist noticed a fire burning in the bushes of a home. The passerby ran up to the house and unplugged the Christmas decorations, and the fire was quickly put out with no damage to the home.
Smoke Alarm Central is a complete source for smoke alarm information.