Officials with the Peoria Fire Department, in Peoria, Arizona, say a crew responded to a home Thursday night when a family's carbon monoxide (CO) alarm was sounding. According to FOX 10, Firefighters at the scene found high concentrations of carbon monoxide at the home. Two children in the home were transported to a hospital in serious condition with high concentrations of CO.
A work vehicle with a generator was parked in the driveway and the generator had been running throughout the day. While it was running, CO vented into the garage and when the garage door was closed, the CO became trapped inside the garage and vented into the home.
The children's bedrooms are above the garage. Fortunately, a CO alarm installed in the home sounded and saved the lives of the family.
Often called the invisible killer, CO is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels–such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane–burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of CO. Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage can also produce dangerous levels of CO.
The carbon monoxide safety page on the NFPA website, the portable generator safety tip sheet, along with the carbon monoxide alarm community toolkit are chock-full of information for staying safe and encouraging the public to stay safe as well.