Don Anderson of Marion, North Carolina, was taking a nap on a recent day when his combination smoke-carbon monoxide alarm sounded. "The beeping woke me up," he said. He called the fire department and fire inspector Kevin Owenby said he smelled an odor as he walked into the house. The other firefighter on the scene started having headaches after they got Anderson out of the home.
According to a news report, all three of them tested positive for elevated levels of carbon monoxide. Anderson said that he since learned that the gas logs he'd been using to heat his home were broken.
NFPA's community toolkit on carbon monoxide alarms, co-sponsored with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, provides everything public educators need to motivate residents to install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms: safety tips sheets, in English and Spanish, easy to read handouts in multiple languages, talking points, a mini-lesson, and community outreach ideas.